Boredom Buster: Design Quiz!
Looking for a quick and fun way to keep your mind active? Take our short Boredom Buster Quiz to see whether your design knowledge is up to scratch and if you know the difference between mid-century and Memphis.
- Which French female architect designed Les Arcs ski resort? Hint: she worked closely with Le Corbusier in her formative years.
- Metallic accents, glass, opulence and glamour are typically associated with which era of design?
- Who am I: Born in 1891 in Milan, I studied Architecture at the Polytechnic of Milan, and shortly after opened a studio in Milan with architect Emilio Landia. In 1928 I founded Domus Magazine with Gianni Mazzocchi and in 1933, became the artistic director of Fontana Arte. Throughout my career as an architect and designer, I collaborated with influential furniture houses such as Cassina and Molteni & C, and worked across numerous architectural projects including Casa Marmont. My furniture designs are celebrated and sought after today for their craftsmanship and unwavering quality, and I am widely known as one of the Italian masters of twentieth century architecture. My name is:
- Who designed the FM60 Cubic Chair?
- Who founded the Memphis Design Movement and when? Bonus points for naming some of the stylistic influences of this design movement.
Answers listed at the bottom of the page – no peeking!
- Charlotte Perriand
- Hollywood Regency
- Gio Ponti
- Radboud van Beekum
- Italian designer Ettore Sottsass in 1980. It’s characterised by a wonderful blend of postmodernism, Art Deco, 1950s kitsch and pop art, with bright contrasting colours, patterns and exaggerated geometric shapes.
Domus Magazine image via Pixart Printing.